It’s time for another challenge at Connie Can Crop.
This month our theme is:
Here’s the card I made for the challenge:
There are so many watercoloring techniques from which to choose, deciding which to try was a daunting task. I knew I only that I wanted to do something I hadn’t tried previously. I’ve seen this spotlighting technique a number of times in Pinterest and decided to give it a go. I think the look is pretty striking and will definitely try this again.
Here’s how I did it:
- I cut two panels of watercolor paper to 4 1/8″ x 5 3/8″. There are many watercolor papers from which to choose; but my go to is Strathmore 140# cold-press.
- From one panel I die cut a stitched rectangle from the center. After cutting, I taped the inner and outer pieces together on the reverse with low tack tape. My go-to is Micropore Tape.
- Using the MISTI, together with their Creative Corners, I stamped the flower outline from the Beautiful Day stamp set by Altenew on the first panel with Tsukineko VersaFine Ink in Black Onyx. Note: This ink is slow to dry, so be careful not to smudge it.
- I swapped panels and stamped again.
- I moved the flower outline to the next position and repeated steps 3 and 4.
- Before cleaning off the stamp, stamp again on a scrap paper to use as a mask. For this, I use Post-It Full Adhesive Notes. I cut the mask directly on the perimeter line.
- I masked the flower and then stamped the leaf outline; again swapping and stamping both panels before moving the leaf to the next location. Finish out the design.
- I painted the flowers using Tattered Rose Distress Ink with an aqua painter.
- Using the second layer of this stamp set, I inked it with Worn Lipstick Distress Ink and then spritzed it with water. I carefully lined it up and stamped again. With the aqua painter I added more ink in some areas and lightened others until I was happy with the look.
- I used the final stamp layer to add the darkest, Festive Berries Distress Ink; adding and lightening as desired. NOTE: I linked to the full-sized ink pads, but I use the mini ink pads and have been very happy with them. I can ink my stamps with no problem and they take up much less storage space.
- Following the same method, I painted the leaves with Bundle Sage and Mowed Lawn Distress Inks.
- I allowed the ink to dry. Alternatively you can help it along with a heat gun.
- I added a piece of craft foam to the back of the painted panel and mounted it to the larger panel; carefully lining-up the images.
- Finishing touches include the addition of a Hero Arts Hello Die cut which I coated with Wink of Stella and then Glossy Accents. I mounted it with Ranger Multi-Medium using a new to me item which is now on my “favorites” list, Darice Precision Tip Applicators. Having had no luck with the other precision tips other bloggers have praised, I hesitated to buy this one; but this one works like a charm. I coated the painted areas with Wink of Stella and accented it with Nuvo Drops in Ebony Black and Carnation Pink. Then added some additional dots randomly on the smaller panel. When I took pictures of the card, I decided I needed more dots, so the card you see at Connie Can Crop shows it with the additions. I have trouble with dots and sequins…there’s a fine line between not enough and too much and I’m still trying to learn the difference.
- I added it to a Basic Black card base. The inside is blank as I want to use this as a note card.
Here’s a closer look at the flower so you can see the sparkle and dimension:
Except…when I reduced the size and quality to post on my blog, I lost all that detail. Well, so here’s a close-up; minus the sparkle and dimension. 😉
If you’d like to see what the rest of the Connie Can Crop design team created for you, just click here! And I sure hope you’re inspired to join the challenge yourself. You can find all the details on the post.