This is the fourth and final post in this month’s Technique Tuesday. This month we had two techniques from which to choose, Black Magic and Joseph’s Coat. This is the Blog Hop post, if you missed it and would like to see it and the first three posts are here, here and here.
My final card uses the more traditional version of Joseph’s Coat than I used last week. Joseph’s Coat is a perfect technique for using autumn colors. As many ideas as I had using the same colors as last week’s card, I really wanted to change it up a bit so I opted for shades of pink and rose on a background of Bravo Burgundy.
I used a retired Stampin’ Up Hostess Stamp, Because I Care. I love this set and have used it in quite a few cards.
I first colored a panel of Whisper White with Distress Inks in the colors I mentioned above as well as greens for the stem and leaves. Before I applied the color in a random pattern, I traced around the outside of the stamp which gave me a visual cue to where to place my colors. I was sure to apply my pencil marks outside the stamped area because the pencil marks get trapped under the ink once it’s applied.
As Distress Inks take a bit longer to dry, I set the panel aside until I was sure it was ready for the next step.
That next step is to stamp the image with VersaMark Ink and then heat emboss it with Clear Embossing Powder. This time I remembered to use the Embossing Buddy first.
Because I wanted the background to match my Stamping’ Up card stock I changed from Distress Ink to Stampin’ Up’s Bravo Burgundy to cover the entire image and surrounding area. I have to admit, it’s a little unnerving to apply dark ink all over the image…even though I know I would be removing it. I pre-planned the use of a Spellbinder’s Oval Die, so I knew how far I needed to extend beyond the image. Next, I wiped the ink off the embossed areas to reveal the flower below.
I wanted a slightly larger oval which wasn’t available with Spellbinder’s, so I measured the oval I die cut and created a mat 1/8″ larger in my Silhouette. I cut that from Pistachio Pudding, which I used for the card base as well. I picked a pink from my scrap to compliment the colors in the flower and die cut a Spellbinder’s scalloped oval. I placed that on a 5 1/4″ x 4″ panel which I embossed with the Tulip Frame embossing folder.
There’s no greeting and the inside is blank because I’m not sure I’ll use this card without taking it apart and reworking it. Just not fond of the way it turned out.