Today I’m bringing you the second and third cards in my Spinner series. Both use a circular slot for the slider, but there are differences in how I created them so I thought I’d compare and contrast for those interested.
Here’s my first card:
When I made this card I wasn’t sure how wide the slot should be. I actually made it wider than all the tutorials suggest because I made it before I bothered to read any tutorials. I thought it would turn out to be a mistake which would require starting over, but it ended up being a good thing as the spinner turns 360 degrees…so he really is “head over heels”.
I had the adorable Fargo Fradey stamp by Eat Cake Graphics and thought he would be perfect for the idea I had in my mind’s eye. I stamped him on water-color paper and colored him in with Tombow markers. The water-color paper was 110# which made this small image smaller sturdier…a good thing. I added little googly eyes to him to finish.
Then worked on my card in my Silhouette, creating a rectangle of 5 3/8″ x 4 1/8″ to be my top panel. I’ve provided a picture here, but I should have changed my lines from red to black to make it easier to see…squint and that makes it clearer, LOL)
Then I created a circle just a smidge larger than 3″ and centered it left to right in my rectangle. I wanted it more towards the upper portion of the card, but it would look nice centered top to bottom as well.
My next task was to make the circular greeting by creating a text to path. I did an internal offset of that initial circle to use for my greeting and then, using Goudy Stout font, typed my greeting to fit nicely on the circle. I increased the character spacing to help even things out.
Once I had my greeting the way I wanted it, I placed it on the card base. For proper placement, centered the rectangle on the card front and then centered the greeting in the circle.
I did another offset of the 3″ circle to make an inner circle about 2 1/2″ and, using the same font and there you have it. By the way, I used Tempting Turquoise for the card base and Daffodil Delight for the center circle.
I created the spinner mechanism by using two pennies and a dimensional. I’m sharing a picture by Julie Davison from her spinner tutorial so you can see what it looks like.
The pattern was printed on Whisper White card stock using the Newfound Happiness Kit from Sweet Shoppe Designs. I prefer printing the pattern on card stock rather than using patterned paper as it’s a bit thicker and sturdier as it will be attached with mounting tape, which was my next step. I attach the rectangle panel using the mounting tape I mentioned being careful not to place it too close to the circle so as not to impede the penny from sliding.
I tuck the penny under this rectangle before placing the center circle, again with mounting tape or dimensionals (and again being careful not to get too close to the edge).
I don’t attach my focal image until all these other steps have been done. Then I attach him using mini glue dots as it gives good adhesion without adding bulk. Here’s how he spins:
For the inside of the card, I printed the sentiment on the Daffodil Delight and matted that on another piece of the patterned paper to complete the card.
Oh, one more thing. While I was printing, I also printed the pattern on a piece of copy paper and added it to my envelope flap for a nice, unified look.
I also wanted to talk just a bit about another circular spinner card. The card was made using a cut file by Samantha Walker from the Silhouette Store, however it wasn’t a round card. I changed that aspect.
The width of the slot was predetermined by the cut file and, in this case it worked well in that it kept the balloon from rotating 360 degrees…it stays upright. But I use Stampin’ Up dimensionals in my spinner mechanism and this 1/4″ opening is too small to accommodate a dimensional…I had to cut it down to allow the balloon to travel the circle. In the future, I would have to use a round pop dot or enlarge the slot by 1/8″.
Just a bit about the card components. I used Bazzill blue for the base, but all other card stock is from Stampin’ Up. I used the Cloudy Day and Square Lattice embossing folders and a bit of Wink of Stella on the balloon. I used the AR Berkley font in Pacific Point (which was my intended choice for the card base, but when I printed it, the Pacific Point printed on the Soft Sky card stock looked nothing like the color, so I switched it up.
The card base for the Head Over Heels card is my design, so I’m happy to share it with you (minus the patterned paper and the dog image). It will be in Silhouette Studio format…I have a link on the Hints, Tips and Tutorials on how to convert it to a svg file, if you need to do that.